Dictionaries
Svein Olav Nyberg
2004-10-20 14:02:29 UTC
Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good and thorough english
dictionary? The most tempting alternative is the complete 20-volume
Oxford English Dictionary, but that is also the alternative I can't
afford. I am currently considering the Shorter Oxford and the Compact
Oxford, but am unable to make a decision based on available data. Help
would be appreciated.
Derek Jensen
2005-01-12 23:54:06 UTC
Is there really such a thing a "bad" dictionary? As an American, I
favor the Simon & Schuster New World Dictionary, but I rarely actually
use it. Like most people these days, my real sources for spellings and
origins are the Microsoft spellchecker and Dictionary.com. If you need
anything more thoro than that, I suggest Bartleby.com (which is free)
or a subscription to the OED online (altho, at $30 a month, you'd think
the OED would include porn...).

=D=